2017 Bond Referendum
The 2017 bond package was developed by a volunteer citizens committee to manage our fast growth with improvements to basic city services such as roads, parks and public safety. The committee met over several months to narrow down the projects to those determined as most necessary. A total of four propositions were presented on the ballot and three were approved by the voters at the election held on November 7, 2017.
Proposition A - The issuance of $9,100,000 Tax Bonds by the City of Midlothian for constructing and equipping fire safety improvements.
- Relocation and construction of new Fire Station #1
- Selected Brinkley Sargent as Architect - design is ongoing
- Selected Steele and Freeman as Construction Manager at Risk
- Contracted with Reed Engineering Group, Ltd. for construction materials engineering and testing services.
- Construction of a fire fighting training facility
- Bids for site work will be advertised the week of September 10, 2018
- Requesting revised drawings for the training facility
- Contracted with Freese and Nichols, Inc for design related services.
- Contracted with Circle H Contractors, LP for site work.
- Contracted with Jahnke and Sons Construction, Inc. dba WHP Training for construction of the facility.
- Contracted with GAW Construction Services, LLC for foundation pad site work.
- Construction in progress.
- Construction complete - grand opening November 14, 2019.
Proposition B - The issuance of $22,200,000 Tax Bonds by the City of Midlothian for street and road improvements.
- Mockingbird Lane/Hayes Road & FM 1387 Intersection Map (No start date at this time)
- McAlpin Road/FM 663 Intersection Map (No start date at this time)
- South Walnut Grove (US 287 to FM 1387) Map (60% design plans are under way)
- South 14th Street - Additional two (2) lanes Map
- Design is complete and right-of-way is acquired
- Construction bid awarded to Circle H Contractors, LP
- Construction is currently in progress with an anticipated 6-9 month construction period.
Proposition D - The issuance of $16,100,000 Tax Bonds by the City of Midlothian for parks and recreation improvements.
- Completion of Midlothian Community Park
- Schrickel, Rollins and Associates was chosen as our consultant for the pre-engineering phase which has been completed.
- Dean Construction chosen as Construction Manager at Risk.
- Seeking professional services for final engineering - contract scheduled for July 23rd Council meeting.
- Contracted with Schrickel, Rollins/PSC for final engineering (design, construction documents, bidding, construction observation services, etc.)