Garage Sales - Ordinance 2011-41
Garage Sale Definition: A sale of household goods, furniture, equipment, utensils, appliances, tools, personal clothing or effects, novelty items, glassware, farm products or similar personal property, including, but not limited to any sale commonly termed “porch sale,” “yard sale,” “lawn sale,” “rummage sale” and not for the purpose of conducting a commercial enterprise. View more information in our Code of Ordinances.
- A permit fee of five dollars ($5.00) shall be obtained at the time an application is made. The permit must be obtained from Code Enforcement (1150 N. Highway 67) prior to the garage sale and before any signs are posted.
- No more than four (4) Garage Sale permits may be issued to any one address within a 12-month period (not a calendar year). Sales shall not exceed four consecutive days in duration and may only be held between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm.
- All signs shall be limited to a maximum area of eight (8) square feet and shall be installed no earlier than two (2) hours before a sale and removed no later than two (2) hours after a sale.
- The off-site sign may be located on private property with the consent of the property owner where the sign is to be placed.
- Garage Sale signs ARE NOT allowed to be placed in right-of-way, medians or on utility poles. (See attached reference for sign placement).
- Signs are prohibited from being placed on any fence, sign or utility pole.
- Items such as balloons or streamers are prohibited from being attached to any signs.
- Signs may not be placed in such a manner as to block or obscure vision at any intersection or traffic signal.
- The address of the garage sale location must be on the sign.
- Multi-family properties (apartment complexes) are also limited to 4 garage sales per year and the management for the complex must apply for the permit.
- Anyone violating the provisions of the Garage Sale Ordinance may be subject to citations.
- Bad Weather, Rainout or Substitute Dates once a permit has been issued will be handled on a case by case basis by the code enforcement office.
- Signs found in violation will be picked up and disposed of. No signs will be returned.
- The Permit Number must be written on the garage sale sign.