- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must meet all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future licensing by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate
- If in the U.S. military (proof of honorable discharge DD214)
- Possess visual acuity to the extent that both eyes are correctable to at least 20/20 binocular vision.
- Must possess a valid drivers license with acceptable driving record.
- Must be computer literate.
- Must meet all physical requirements.
- Any felony conviction
- Any class B misdemeanor conviction(s) within last ten (10) years
- Suspended driver's license at time of application
- Domestic violence conviction
- Must not be prohibited by law from possessing firearms or ammunition
Drug history involving:
- Use of Marijuana two (2) years or less from application date, or
- Use of any other illegal substance ten (10) years or less from application date
- Use of any hallucinogenic drug
- Sale or distribution of any illegal substances, or
- Extensive use of any drug that amounts to more than minimal experimentation
The following is a list of behaviors/histories that may also disqualify an applicant, but the final
decision will be made by the Chief or his designee:
- Poor credit history
- Lesser degree misdemeanor conviction
- Poor driving record
- Arrest history
- Previous warrants
- Any behavior which demonstrates a lack of high moral character
Salary and Benefits
Beginning Police Officer: (As of October 1, 2017)
$51,670.00 yearly base salary
TCOLE Certification pay:
Intermediate - $50 per month
Advanced - $100 per month
Master - $150 per month
Associates - $50 per month
Bachelors - $100 per month
Masters - $150 per month
Doctorate - $200 per month
*Maximum combined certification pay - $200 per month*
An application must be submitted following the City of Midlothian Human Resources Application Process. The Midlothian Police Department will contact each applicant prior to the testing date to confirm their attendance for the testing date. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Application & Job Position Information
No tests scheduled at this time.
Location information will be provided individually to applicants who are qualified to take the exam.
Attire for the written examination is formal. There will be a short break after the written examination for candidates to change clothes for the administration of the physical fitness test.
To purchase a study guide click here
Duties and Responsibilities
Applicants will be required to fulfill all duties of a Police Officer including making arrests, running, climbing, sitting and standing for long hours and writing legible and articulate reports. Applicants will also be required to have excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with the public in a positive manner.
For a full job description, please contact the City of Midlothian Human Resources Department.
The City of Midlothian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The entrance examination will consist of a validated written examination from which the eligibility list shall be established and will remain in effect for a six-month period. Candidates who pass the written examination will be subject to driver analysis, background investigation, Cooper physical assessment, psychological evaluation, polygraph, oral review board, medical examination including drug testing and any other relevant investigations deemed necessary.
Thorough background investigations into an applicant's personal and professional life are painstakingly performed by this department to assure the highest quality personnel. These investigations vary in time that it takes to complete due to unforeseen complications or circumstances. Backgrounds are generally completed in ten to fifteen days but can last substantially longer depending on the complexity of the investigation. Applicants that are not processed or selected are eligible to retest at the next appointed testing date unless otherwise notified.
Individuals with disabilities who will need reasonable accommodation in order to complete a test must contact the City of Midlothian Human Resources Director at (972) 775-7192 at least two weeks prior to the scheduled test date. Documentation supporting the need for accommodation will be required.
Cooper Physical Fitness Test
The Midlothian Police Department recognizes the importance of physical fitness and it's relation to job performance. The physical fitness test is given to all candidates who pass the written entrance examination. This requirement helps to ensure each candidate can perform the rigorous duties and obligations that police officers are called upon to perform.
The Midlothian Police Department utilizes the “Absolute Standard” testing regiment as set forth by the Cooper Institute. These series of tests are the same for men and women and cannot be modified or changed.
The test consists of four components:
- 1.5 mile run (maximum time limit: 16 minutes 31 seconds)
- 300 meter dash (maximum time limit: 77 seconds)
- 1 minute timed sit-ups (minimum standard: 33 sit ups) (Subject starts by laying on their back with knees bent, feet flat on the ground with fingers laced behind the head. No pulling on the head with the hands. The buttocks must remain on the ground at all times and no thrusting of the hips. A partner will hold the subjects feet during the exercise. In the up position the subject must touch elbows to the knees and return back until the shoulder blades touch the ground. One (1) rep is counted when the subject is in the up position with correct form. Subjects may rest in the up position only while maintaining proper form.)
- 1 minute timed push-ups (minimum standard: 26 push ups) (Hands are placed slightly wider than shoulder width apart, fingers pointed forward, back must be straight at all times and feet cannot be braced. Starting in the up position the subject must lower the body to approximately 3 inches from the ground and then back up for one (1) rep. Subjects can only rest in the up position while hands are on the ground with arms straight, no sagging, piking or arching of the body and knees cannot touch the ground).